Monday, April 28, 2014

Happy Gotcha Day Bruce!

Three years ago today, we officially adopted Bruce from a local rescue group.  We have had our ups and downs, but for the last year or so it has been mostly ups, for which I am grateful.

The big boy has taught me so much in the last three years.  Patience is the big one.  He truly does make me smile, laugh, and on occasion, sigh. 

Bruce posing.
I love how affectionate he can be when he wants to be.  At those times, he is easily my most affectionate dog.

I love his happy howls, the aroo's that come when he is excited to see us, or knows that he is about to eat.


I love how far he has come.  We are working on putting up more fencing, and had to disconnect the corner of our small fenced area to dig a post hole last weekend.  I had to get all three dogs inside and close off the dog door.  He was too nosy about everything going on, and did not want to come inside.  I grabbed his collar, and he screamed a little, and then bluffed like he was going to bite my arm.  But he DIDN'T.  1.5 years ago, 3 years ago, he would have.  This time he only bluffed, then willingly followed me inside.

My handsome boy.

As terrible as it sounds, there was a time when I was almost afraid of Bruce.  I feel that we now have a mutual respect, admiration, and love for one another, because he is probably the most truly "obedient" of my three dogs, when he wants to be.  He has the best recall when on the long leash, and seems to be the one who just enjoys being near us, doing nothing.

Happy Gotcha Day big boy, and here's to many, many more!


24 comments:

  1. Happy Gotcha Day Bruce and boy you have come a long way. Goes to what patience and understanding can achieve. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly. He truly has taught me patience, and about changing expectations.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to you all, and to all of the progress Bruce has made in your household! It is encouraging to look back and remember how different dogs were when we first brought them home. He is such a handsome boy, and I am sure you will continue to learn from each other in the coming years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Compared to then, he is pretty much a different dog.

      Delete
  3. Oh Boy Happy Happy Gotcha Day Bruce! You sure are a handsome boy! My momma toles me the other day that all our ups and downs have taught her a lot about love and patience and never giving up...I finks your momma feels the very same way.
    Stella Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly do. I wouldn't trade our experiences and time together for the world.

      Delete
  4. What a very rewarding dog he is. Happy gotcha day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy gotcha day, Bruce! This is the first I've seen of the new banner. Looking sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Gotcha Day handsome Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Gotcha Day, Bruce - you handsome boy!!!

    Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous boy! The most obedient when he wants to be... what a great line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is a beauty! Happy Gotcha Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Gotcha Day to Bruce! It's wonderful to hear how far he has come, and what a great relationship you have.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, what a nice post about Bruce. I didn't realize he had come so far. So good to know he is doing so well. It must have taken lots and lots of patience. He's in such a good home. Good boy, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Gotcha Day to Bruce. I know very well those feelings of being scared of your dog, going through ups and down. ☺ Brut is my most affectionate when he wants to be and is my most obedient and we have been through hell and back with him.

    So great that you have seen progress with Bruce and watching him grow and mature. Letting him come into his own. What a great day for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Bruce, you are one handsome ManDog fursure!!!! *wink, wink*
    Happy happy Happy Gotcha Day!!!!
    I am so glads you and your peeps found eachother!!! And congrats on not bitin' your Moms! BOL (I likes the mouthin' on the arms too...hehehe, shhhh, don't tell...)
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy gotcha day, Bruce! I love reading up on how you've found ways to help him adapt and grow as a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely boy! Happy gotcha day, Bruce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh! Sorry I missed seeing this on the Big Day! Happy gotcha day to Bruce and to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the howls!!