Saturday, September 14, 2013

Solid Gold Berry Balance Review for Faolan's Urinary Issues

We have been battling urinary issues with Faolan since mid July.  Strangely enough, it all started the day of his yearly wellness exam.  He had four inappropriate urinations that day, when in the year prior (his entire time with us) he had proven himself reliably house trained. 

A urinalysis revealed an elevate urine pH, and low urine specific gravity.  These can be indicative of a UTI, or diabetes insipidus.  He was treated for a UTI with a 10 day course of oral antibiotics.  Keflex (cephalexin) seems to be the go-to antibiotic of choice for most vets.  After 10 days of Keflex, I had another (follow-up) urinalysis ran, which according to the vet tech, was "fine."

But things were not fine.  He was now urinating in the house nearly every day.  I was increasingly frustrated.  I was cleaning with enzymatic cleaners and watching him like a hawk.  I started crating him again at night.  He would "feel guilty" and go in his crate as soon as I saw the puddles.  He did it front of me on occasion. 

Faolan has always been a dog who submissively and fear urinates, which is not that uncommon in wolfdogs.  We managed it by building his confidence.  This was something different. 

I began researching.  I found that alkaline urine, which he had on the initial urinalysis, creates an environment favorable to the growth of both bacteria and stones.  I feed raw, which promotes acidic urine.  I watched him even more closely.  I began to realize that if his bladder was even the tiniest bit full, he would feel the need to empty it, as if it was causing him discomfort. 

Because of my frustration with the vet, I chose not to contact them again regarding this.  I began taking him out more frequently, and ensuring that he completely emptied his bladder.  I watched EVEN MORE closely.  Then, one day at Pet Supplies Plus, I found this:



Solid Gold Berry Balance
I saw this, and having not noticed it before, had to pick it up.  I like Solid Gold as a company, and have used their Solid Gold Seameal frequently in the past. 

Ingredients: Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Beef Liver, Natural Flavoring, Silica Aerogel, Rice Flour, Ascorbic Acid.

I could tell by the ingredients it was designed for urinary health.  There is some evidence that claims that cranberries promote both acidic urine, and keep bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall.  I had nothing to lose, so I purchased it.

The ingredients are simple, though I wish I knew what the "natural flavoring" is.  I feel the beef liver is added for flavor, to make it more appetizing to dogs.

It is a reddish powder, and I began giving Faolan a tsp of it twice daily, with meals.



Initially, he seemed turned off by it.  I began mixing it slightly with his fish oil, blood from thawed meat, or a little added water, and he ate it more readily that way.

I have been using for 13 days now, and I do believe it has having a beneficial effect on him.  He has not had an accident in the house in 6 days as of today, and seems to be able to hold it when he does have urine in his bladder.  This morning, for example, he went outside when he first got up, came in, ate breakfast, went back outside briefly, then came in for two hours.  We then went on a walk with all three dogs, and he took a relatively long pee at the beginning of it, meaning he had held it inside for a bit. 

The dosing is listed on the container.  It states to give twice daily for one month, and after one month to give once daily three times per week.  We are about halfway through the first month.

I don't know exactly how or the mechanism in which it is working in Faolan's case, but I am glad it is seemingly doing so.  Perhaps he has been living with a mild UTI for the past couple months.  I have had one myself, and know how uncomfortable they are, and the urgency to go that comes with them.  Whatever the reason, I am glad to have found it.

I am so glad my little boy is feeling better!
Disclaimer-I purchased this product, and was not asked to review it.  All opinions are strictly my own.

3 comments:

  1. Could he be incontinent? It's somewhat common in spayed bitches, but can occur in neutered dogs too, especially if done before they are physically mature.

    I've read various things about canine incontinence. Some people treat it with Proin (I currently do), some use cranberry things, others use corn silk. I've heard of a couple other things too but can't remember them.
    I've tried corn silk with Sasha and it seemed to help a bit, but don't use it right now due to all the crap I have going on. (I don't need things to be complicated right now.) Once stuff settles down, I will either pick it up again or try something else.

    Incontinence can be (but sometimes isn't) a difficult thing to diagnose and deal with, since it can look like several other medical or behavioral issues. I surely hope that's not the case with Faolan, since it means it would be a lifelong problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so glad you found an answer! It's so frustrating when vets don't listen, or are somewhat dismissive of your concerns. Yes, the test might be 'normal' but that still doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Sorry that you had that experience. Ma has had it too, and it sucks. Being an advocate for your dogs is sometimes hard when the people who are suppose to be helping you make you feel like a nuisance. Ma tries to 'suck it up' and be a 'bitch' butts it's not really in her nature, so it's kinda hard for her! I just say..follow MY lead!! BOL
    Anyhu, glad it seems to be helpin!!!!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking your dog out for a trip to the bathroom is a regularly scheduled part of your day. Sometimes twice or even three times, depending on the kinds of hours you keep and how active your dog is. However, there are instances when your dog could be needing to do his business more than usual, and that can be a cause for concern. See more http://dogsaholic.com/care/frequent-urination-in-dogs.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the howls!!