Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Recent Raw Meals-Raw Dog Food Recipes

This week I have decided to give a bit more information regarding my dogs' various meals, as opposed to just sharing pictures and stating what the particular items are.

See How I Feed Raw for more information about percentages and weights, etc. 

I feed PMR (Prey Model Raw) which roughly equates to feeding 80% meaty meat, 10% edible bone, and 10% organ, with half of that being liver.  Heart and lungs are fed as meaty meat, and organs include liver, kidney, spleen, brain, thymus, etc.  I aim for balance over time, not daily.  Typically, if one balanced out what I feed over any given two day period, it would equal out to the 80-10-10 ratio.

As previously mentioned, chicken leg quarters are my most readily available, affordable source of bone.  When I can, I also feed various ribs, turkey necks and feet, duck necks, backs and feet, and chicken feet as sources of bone.

Each of my three woofers eats roughly 2 pounds daily, divided into two meals, with breakfast being a smaller meal.  The orange liquid seen in some photos is Grizzly Wild Pollock Oil.

Day one breakfast-goat green tripe.
Green tripe is the unwashed stomach of ruminant animals.  I purchased this tripe from the coOp I belong to, Raw Paws.  Pictured here is approximately a 10 ounce piece of tripe.

Day one dinner-beef heart, lamb spleen.
Approximately 16 ounce chunk of beef heart, and two lamb spleens totaling about 4 ounces.
Totals for Day One-26 ounces meaty meat, 4 ounces (other) organ.


Day two breakfast (not pictured)-pork heart.
I think I had to be at work at 0600 that morning, and OH fed the crew.  An average pork heart for us weighs about 8 ounces.

Day two dinner-chicken leg quarter, beef liver.
Approximately 20 ounce chicken leg quarter, and about 4 ounces beef liver.  A chicken leg quarter with a back portion is approximately 35-40% bone, depending on where one reads their information.  I will use 40% for ease of mathematics.
Totals for Day Two-8 ounces edible bone (20 ounces x 0.4), 12 ounces meaty meat, 4 ounces liver.

Totals for Days One and Two-62 ounces total fed.  46 ounces meaty meat, 8 ounces edible bone, 8 ounces organ.  This breaks down to 74% meaty meat, 13% bone, and 13% organ for this two day period.


Day three breakfast (not pictured)-once again, I had to be at work very early, so OH fed, and took no picture.  They enjoyed 10 ounce portions of frozen beef lung.

Day three dinner-beef heart, goat green tripe, lamb spleen.  Approximately 12 ounce portion beef heart, 6 ounce portion goat green tripe, and 4 ounces lamb spleen.
Totals for Day Three-28 ounces meaty meat, 4 ounces (other) organ.

Day four breakfast-turkey hearts.  Approximately 8 ounces turkey hearts.

Day four dinner-chicken leg quarter, sheep liver.  Approximately 16 ounce chicken leg quarter, and 5 ounces sheep liver.
Totals for Day Four-17.6 ounces meaty meat, 6.4 ounces edible bone, 5 ounces liver

Totals for Days Three and Four-61 ounces total fed.  45.6 ounces meaty meat, 6.4 ounces edible bone, 9 ounces organ.  This breaks down to 75% meaty meat, 10.5% edible bone, and 14.5% organ.

Day five breakfast-beef heart.  Approximate 12 ounce chunk beef heart.

Day five dinner-pork heart chunks, lamb spleen.  16 ounces pork heart, 3 ounces lamb spleen.
Totals for Day Five-28 ounces meaty meat, 3 ounces (other) organ.

Day six breakfast-venison.  Approximately 16 ounce piece of venison.

Day six dinner-chicken leg quarter, sheep liver.  18 ounce chicken leg quarter (shown with bully stick flakes from this month's BarkBox) and 3 ounces sheep liver.
Totals for day six-26.8 ounces meaty meat, 7.2 ounces edible bone, 3 ounces liver.

Totals for Days Five and Six-68 ounces total fed.  54.8 ounces meaty meat, 7.2 ounces edible bone, 6 ounces organ.  This breaks down to 80.5% meaty meat, 10.5% edible bone, and 8% organs.

Weekly Totals-191 ounces total fed.  146.4 ounces meaty meat, 21.6 ounces edible bone, and 23 ounces organs.  This breaks down to 77% meaty meat, 11% edible bone, and 12% organ.

As I have mentioned before, I feel that large dogs are easier to feed raw to than smaller dogs, because one has a larger amount of wiggle room with dealing with percentages.  When I was first starting out, I measured EVERYTHING precisely.  I no longer weigh chicken quarters, knowing the ones I purchase always weigh 16-20 ounces each.  I can easily eyeball a 3-5 ounce serving of organ meat now, so I no longer weigh organs when portioning for individual freezing.  I will weigh whole beef hearts or other large chunks of meat, so that I know how many pieces to cut them in to. 

I am happy to answer any raw feeding questions I can, and there are a variety of websites and FaceBook pages that are super helpful.  Perhaps that will be an upcoming blog entry.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is the first time I've ever had a blogger friend who absolutely gives their dogs raw food... and this is the first time I've heard of such model.

    They sure are lucky. By the way, are they sled huskies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This the excellent post which I have seen and it helped me a lot , Thanks for sharing it!!
    bakers small dog food

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any animals however i'm certain that any dog would gulp these up during a heartbeat. Thanks for sharing on sensualist Friends Friday and that i hope that you just can be a part of USA once more this returning week. See more at homemade dog treats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking some time to write this post. My dog won’t eat and there is no obvious reason why. Many dog owners get worried as soon as their dogs start refusing food. However, the reasons are so varied that you have to carefully observe your dog before panicking. See more http://dogsaholic.com/food_treats/my-dog-wont-eat.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the howls!!